You are hereWisdom Within's Healthbeat Advertisements
Wisdom Within's Healthbeat Advertisements
Every month, Wisdom Within offers a bit of childbirth or reproductive health related information in the Healthbeat section of three local newspapers: The Mountain Mail, The Mountain Guide and The Chaffee County Times.
Check out the research! Links provided wherever possible.
Did You Know...
June 2010 - There are natural ways to help breech babies turn head down! Consider these possibilities:
Webster’s chiropractic technique: 82-97% success rate
Slant board positioning: 89-96% success rate
Hypnotherapy: 81% success rate
Moxibustion (Trad.Chinese Med.): 75% success rate
Juliet De Sa Souza, Grant Medical College, Bombay, India. 1977. Reported in A Good Birth, A Safe Birth, Diana Korte and Roberta M. Scaer. Harvard Common Press, 1992. Third edition.
July 2010 - If 90% of US families could comply with medical recommendations to breastfeed exclusively for 6 months, the United States would save $13 billion per year and prevent more than 900 infant deaths.
August 2010 - Natural Family Planning with fertility awareness is EQUALLY AS EFFECTIVE as oral contraceptives when used correctly.
September 2010 - Postpartum Depression can be treated naturally:
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Bright Light Therapy (1)
· (1) Effectiveness comparable to antidepressant medication
Cesarean births are twice as likely when labor is induced.
Cesarean births are more than twice as likely when epidurals are given before 4-5 cms. dilation.
1 in 3 moms today give birth surgically.
The rate of cesarean births in the US has doubled since 1996.
November 2010 - Chaffee County has a home birth rate five times that of the rest of the nation!
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Vital Statistics, 303-692-2160
December 2010 - Women who labor in water experience more drug-free labors, shorter labors and have fewer lacerations in birth.
February 2011 - Vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) is
- A reasonable, safe and appropriate option for most pregnant women who've had previous cesarean births. (the National Institute of Health, 2010 and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2010)
- Legal everywhere and available in our community!
March 2011 - Childbirth Education classes in pregnancy can
Enhance a woman's confidence to birth naturally
Decrease the use of drugs in labor
Give social support during pregnancy, which leads to shorter labors and better birth outcomes
Facilitate successful breastfeeding and transition to parenthood
April 2011 - Your baby needs to be skin-to-skin with you in the first hour after birth:
- Baby's temperature, heart rate, breathing and blood sugar levels will stabilize faster and easier.
- Mother-baby imprinting occurs with baby's strong sense of smell.
- Mom's hormones for milk production and bonding are increased.
- Unmedicated babies will initiate breastfeeding.